April 17, 2010

Pohjannaula



Pohjannaula (something like "The Groundnail") is a folk-polka-humppa-rock-ska-punk band from Finland. In the picture from left is Samuli Mäkisalo (vocals, guitar) Juha-Matti Pesonen (guitar) and behind the drums Hermanni Peltola. Also in Pohjannaula are playing Tomi Rikkola (viola) and Tuomo Kuure (bass).

The band uses finnish Kalevala epos in their lyrics with a very finnish style like touch. The gigs are unforgetable and the energy is something what many bands do not have. To their brand belongs plain white shirts and the mic stands made of birch (as you can see in the picture ;D ). Last autum were some rumours about breaking up but Pohjannaula has less frequently gigs for example in Estonia. Pohjannaula was and is known also in Central Europe most in Germany.

Check also: "Ei ole tapana" ("It's not in the habit"), "Halajan" ("I want"), "Pirunpelto" ("Devils field").

VEISTÄJÄ

Veistän, veistän venehen
Veistän, veistän kaunokaisen 
Kuusista, vanhoista - vanhoista rungoista
Veistän venhon kyljet,
Kuultavan vaalean valkoiset
Soljumaan luiskon sorean
Ylle syvänteiden pohjattomien
Taittamaan salmet kapeat 
Uinumaan  - uinumaan 
Näillä Pohjolan kivisillä vesillä
Ei ole ruuhta rannalla
Kuikuttelemassa rannan päätllä 
Vain etiäiseiä enteileviä
Väkäleuan nukkuessa

*Minä syvistä vesistä 
Synnyistä syvistä
Pohjolan perukoilta
Pirttini pimennosta 
Luojanasi sanon: 
Liu'u, liu'u vetehen
Kankahalta lahtehen
Matalalta syvälle
Aina leveälle selälle*

Veistin, veistin venehen
Kuolleen ruuhen herättelin
Ikuista petäjän mahlaa levittelin 
Yksikseni
Tervatulia hengittelin
Alkoi syvänteestä kuulumaan:
Miehiä miehekkäitä makaa tässä
Murran vieressä lahoamassa 
Tule vierelleni, valkokylki
Uinumaan – uinumaan  

*Minä syvistä vesistä... *



WOODWORKER
I carve – carve a boat
I carve - carve a beautiful one
Of spruces of old – old trunks
I carve the sides of the boat
They are gleaming light withe
I carve an agite boat
To swim above of those endless abysses
This showy boat
To sail along those tight straits
To sleep – to sleep
In these rocky waters of the North
There's no boat on the shore
Crying on the waters
Only elves foreboding
When the slanting chin is sleeping
*I'm from deep waters
From deep toughts
From corners of the North
From shadows of my shag
As your creator I say:
Slide – silde into the water
From thr bog into the bay
From the shallow to the deep waters
All the way to the wide open sea *
I carved – carved a boat
I woke up a dead boat
I spread everlasting sap from the pine
Alone
Tarfires I inhaled
From the deep waters I heard voices:
Manly men are lying here
By the stream roting there
Come next to me, whiteside
Come to sleep – to sleep
*I'm from deep waters... *

No comments:

Post a Comment